Harlequin Haven Great Dane Rescue

Harlequin Haven
Great Dane Rescue

11567 St. Rt. 774
Bethel, Ohio 45106

Open By Appointment Only


Help the dogs with a tax-deductible donation today
- - -

The Dangers of Antifreeze

Traditional automobile antifreeze is produced with an extremely toxic chemical called ethylene glycol (EG). At least 90,000 pets, along with countless wildlife, die every year in the United States after ingesting this chemical. Traditional EG antifreeze tastes sweet, and pets and children are drawn to it. As little as two tablespoons can be hazardous to children and two ounces (four tablespoons) can kill a dog. They can ingest antifreeze spilled during installation, leaked from vehicles, disposed of carelessly, or improperly stored. Make sure to clean up any spills you are aware of as quickly as possible!

Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning include vomiting, lack of coordination, mild to severe depression, muscle twitches, and increased urination. After several days, the dog's kidneys will be irreversibly damaged. Eventually, metabolic acidosis and kidney failure can cause seizures, comas, and death.

The good news is that progressive chemical companies have formulated a propylene glycol (PG)-based antifreeze that presents less of a health risk if ingested.

All images and text on this site Copyright © 1998-2023 Harlequin Haven Great Dane Rescue, Inc. unless otherwise credited. Use of any image or text without written permission is expressly forbidden. All rights reserved.

The Dogs
Adoptable Dogs
In Memory Of
Mozart Dane, Artist
Sanctuary Dogs
Success Stories
Rescue Info
Adoption Procedure
How To Help
Mission Statement
What's New
Wish List
Canines & Humans
Canine Care
Canine Medical
Canine Tales
Our Favorite Links
Lost Dogs
Help Find Us!