This info is from the SPCA newsletter, and may
help make your
For many of us, 'tis the season to decorate our homes with live
Christmas trees and holiday greenery. But did you know that some of
these yuletide traditions can be hazardous to your pet's health?
* Lovely lilies are commonly used in holiday floral arrangements, but
many varieties--including tiger, Asian, Japanese Show, Stargazer and the
Casa Blanca--can cause kidney failure in cats.
* Bag the boughs of holly and live mistletoe. Yes, they add a nice
touch to your holiday decor, but holly can cause vomiting, nausea,
diarrhea and lethargy if ingested by your pet. And should he eat
mistletoe, he could suffer gastrointestinal upset and cardiovascular
problems. Opt for just-as-pretty artificial plants made from silk or
* If your dog or cat ingests pine tree needles, she can suffer an
upset stomach and oral pain.
* Don't drink the water! Christmas tree water may contain fertilizers
which, if ingested, can cause stomach upset. Stagnant tree water can
also act as a breeding ground for bacteria--and your pet could end up
with nausea or diarrhea should he imbibe.
* Although the potential toxicity of poinsettias is generally
overrated, these showy holiday plants can be irritating to your pet's
mouth if eaten, and may cause mild vomiting or nausea.
* If you suspect that your pet has eaten a potentially toxic
substance, call the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center's emergency
hotline 1-888-426-4435 for round-the-clock
telephone assistance. For more information on poison prevention,
All images and text on this site Copyright © 1998-2019 Harlequin Haven Great Dane Rescue, Inc. unless otherwise credited. Use of any image or text without written permission is expressly forbidden. All rights reserved.