Harlequin Haven Great Dane Rescue

Harlequin Haven
Great Dane Rescue

11567 St. Rt. 774
Bethel, Ohio 45106

937-379-2231
Phone Hours - 9 AM - 8 PM
EST
info@hhdane.org

 

Help the dogs with a tax-deductible donation today
- - -

Chocolate--How Much is too Much?

We've all heard it, "Don't give your dog chocolate--it will kill him". Well, how true is it you're probably wondering. Do I have to rush him to an emergency vet if he ate one of my M&M's?

The truth is chocolate contains theobromine that is toxic to dogs in sufficient quantities. This is a xanthine compound in the same family of caffeine and theophylline.

Toxic Levels

The good news is that it takes, on average, a fairly large amount of theobromine, 100-150 mg/kg, to cause a toxic reaction. Although there are variables to consider such as the individual sensitivity, animal size, and chocolate concentration.

On average,
Milk chocolate contains 44 mg of theobromine per oz.
Semi-sweet chocolate contains 150mg/oz.
Baker's chocolate 390mg/oz.

Using a dose of 100 mg/kg as the toxic dose it comes out roughly as:
1 ounce per 1 pound of body weight for Milk chocolate
1 ounce per 3 pounds of body weight for Semisweet chocolate
1 ounce per 9 pounds of body weight for Baker's chocolate.

So, for example, 2 oz. of Baker's chocolate can cause great risk to an 15 lb. dog. Yet, 2 oz. of Milk chocolate usually will only cause digestive problems.

Clinical Signs

Xanthines affect the nervous system, cardiovascular system, and peripheral nerves. It has a diuretic effect as well. Clinical signs:

Hyper excitability
Hyper irritability
Increased heart rate
Restlessness
Increased urination
Muscle tremors
Vomiting
Diarrhea

Treatment

There is no specific antidote for this poisoning. The half life of the toxin is 17.5 hours in dogs. Induce vomiting in the first 1-2 hours if the quantity is unknown. Administering activated charcoal may inhibit absorption of the toxin. An anticonvulsant might be indicated if neurological signs are present and needs to be controlled. Oxygen therapy, intravenous medications, and fluids might be needed to protect the heart.

Milk chocolate will often cause diarrhea 12-24 hours after ingestion. This should be treated symptomatically (fluids, etc.) to prevent dehydration.

If you suspect your pet has ingested chocolate contact your Vet immediately! They can help you determine the proper treatment for your pet.

All images and text on this site Copyright 1998-2017 Harlequin Haven Great Dane Rescue, Inc. unless otherwise credited. Use of any image or text without written permission is expressly forbidden. All rights reserved.


 
The Dogs
Adoptable Dogs
In Memory Of
Mozart Dane, Artist
Sanctuary Dogs
Success Stories
-
Rescue Info
Adoption Procedure
Events
FAQ
How To Help
Newsletter
Mission Statement
What's New
Wish List
-
Educational
Canines & Humans
Canine Care
Canine Medical
Canine Tales
-
Links
Our Favorite Links
-
Lost Dogs
Help Find Us!
-
HOME

-