Harlequin Haven Great Dane Rescue

Harlequin Haven
Great Dane Rescue

11567 St. Rt. 774
Bethel, Ohio 45106

937-379-2231
Phone Hours - 9 AM - 8 PM
EST
info@hhdane.org

 

Help the dogs with a tax-deductible donation today
- - -

Valentine's Day

Valentine’s Day can be as much fun for pets as it is for humans, but only if dangerous foods and flowers and other items are kept out of your dog’s reach. Each year poison control experts see a rise in cases around Valentine Day, many involving chocolate. So please don’t leave the candy lying around.

Experienced pet owners know the potentially life-threatening dangers of chocolate, including baker’s, semi-sweet, milk and dark. In darker chocolates, methylxanthines—caffeine-like stimulants that affect gastrointestinal, neurologic and cardiac function—can cause vomiting/diarrhea, hyperactivity, seizures and an abnormally elevated heart rate. The high-fat content in lighter chocolates can potentially lead to a life-threatening inflammation of the pancreas. Enjoy your chocolates, but don’t leave chocolate out for your dog or cat to get into. 

Although many people think it is cute to give their dog beer, wine, champagne, or other type of liquor DON’T!!! Because most dogs are smaller than humans and of course are not used to alcohol a little bit of alcohol can do a lot of harm, causing vomiting, diarrhea, lack of coordination, central nervous system depression, tremors, difficulty breathing, metabolic disturbances and even coma. Potentially fatal respiratory failure can also occur if a large enough amount is ingested. 

Always keep anything with xylitol out of reach of your dog. If ingested, gum, candy and other treats that include this sweetener can result in a sudden drop in blood sugar known as hypoglycemia. This can cause your pet to suffer depression, loss of coordination and seizures. 

Did you get a wrapped present or are you wrapping a gift to give? Once the gift is wrapped or opened gather up wrapping paper, cellophane, tape, ribbons, and bows throw them away or put away. If eaten, these items can get lodged in your pet’s throat or stomach, causing him to choke, vomit or to get a blockage.

Many pet owners are still unaware that all species of lily are potentially fatal to cats. When sending a floral arrangement, specify that it contain no lilies if the recipient has a cat—and when receiving an arrangement, look through and remove any dangerous flowers. If your pet shows any symptoms such as stomach upset, vomiting or diarrhea, he may have ingested an offending flower/plant. Don’t let pets near roses or other thorny stemmed flowers. Biting, stepping on or swallowing their sharp, woody spines can cause serious infection if a puncture occurs.

Although it is romantic to have dinner by candlelight, always put out the candle when you leave the room. Dogs and cats can easily cause a fire by knocking over unattended candles. 

And last but not least, NEVER give a pet as a gift!! Giving a cuddly pet may seem a fitting Valentine’s Day gift—however, returning a pet they had not planned on is anything but romantic. Dogs bring with them a lifelong commitment, and choosing a dog for someone else does not always turn out right.

All images and text on this site Copyright © 1998-2017 Harlequin Haven Great Dane Rescue, Inc. unless otherwise credited. Use of any image or text without written permission is expressly forbidden. All rights reserved.


 
The Dogs
Adoptable Dogs
In Memory Of
Mozart Dane, Artist
Sanctuary Dogs
Success Stories
-
Rescue Info
Adoption Procedure
Events
FAQ
How To Help
Newsletter
Mission Statement
What's New
-
Links
Our Favorite Links
-
Lost Dogs
Help Find Us!
-
HOME